The Alto J. Davis Scholarship for the Study of Music is funded by an endowment established in 2004 by Anne Davis in honor of her husband, Alto. The endowment was inspired by his love of both children and music, as shown by his countless volunteer hours given to The Jackson Symphony and his desire to enrich the lives of children.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to deserving students who demonstrate musical ability, dedication, financial need, and interest in furthering their music education.
The scholarship is open to instrumental music students who:
- Live in West Tennessee, excluding Shelby County - or -
- Actively participate in an educational program sponsored by The Jackson Symphony, regardless of county of residence.
- Applicants must be eighteen years or younger at the time of the application, with no lower age limit.
- They must perform on a standard orchestral instrument.
Funds will be awarded for various musical activities that would further the student’s musical education, to include:
- Tuition for a summer camp,
- Financial assistance for private lessons, and college music study, or
- To upgrade to a better instrument.
No money will be paid to the student. All money will be paid directly to the camp, instructor, college, or vendor. This year’s scholarship awards will range from approximately $100 to $500.
Applicants will be required to submit the following:
- Completed application form
- One-page essay which addresses what the scholarship, if awarded, will be used for, why it is needed, and how the student will benefit from this opportunity, as well as the student’s interest and goals in music.
Applicants meeting the basic requirements will be invited to audition before a panel of professional musicians/teachers which has been selected by the Jackson Symphony Association Education Committee and staff.
Applicants meeting the basic requirements will be invited to audition before a panel of professional musicians/teachers which has been selected by The Jackson Symphony education committee and staff. If you meet the application deadline and requirements, you should prepare your audition selections immediately. Each student will perform two brief contrasting musical selections of their choice. Total performance time should be no more than 10 minutes. Winners will be notified in writing as soon as possible upon completion of the auditions.
Past winners of the Alto J. Davis Scholarships:
2008 Hayden McGowan
2007 Anna Wilkens-Reed, Jennifer Reeves
2006 Jasmine Fuller
2005 Katharine Mullins, Melody Dale